Sunday, July 9, 2017

Heavy work

©2017 Barry Smith - Some detail in the timber posts
Sometimes the work we do on our art is heavy and takes quite a long time with not a lot to show. Such was the case for me over the weekend. On Friday I had taken delivery of 5 large and very heavy posts I'm going to use in a five post sculptural installation.

The posts are 170mm square and vary in height from 1.25m to 1.75m. They are Tallowwood - hard and dense hardwood. They arrived sawn and roughly milled but required a lot of sanding. Getting them up onto the workbench required a bit of heaving and leverage.

©2017 Barry Smith 
Each post took over an hour of concentrated sanding with 80grit on my belt sander. But the end product is worth it.

I now have the five posts sanded and oiled with decking oil. I sanded and oiled them as soon as I got them to reduce-stop cracking.

©2017 Barry Smith - Some nice colour
©2017 Barry Smith - Standing tall
The posts will stay standing and drying waiting for me to add etched sheets that are still a couple of weeks off.

©2017 Barry Smith - Chainsaw marks in the top of the post - still to be sanded back

1 comment:

  1. You have been busy. They look great, where to next?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.