Sunday, October 1, 2017

Sculpture on the block

©2017 Barry Smith - Patinated copper soldering iron head on timber
Over the last week I have been inspired to start using up some of the timber and found objects that I have been collecting. I want to make a few assemblage-sculpture installation pieces for our block: one by the small garden shed; a couple out the front near the entry path; and one bigger one for down the back near the rock river.

I roughly sketched out a couple of pieces that were going to incorporate greyed timber and vintage solid copper soldering irons - I have a fairly massive stash of soldering irons.

©2017 Barry Smith 
First one of the sculptures for out front. I have taken a nice twisted, eroded and greyed piece of hardwood Fiona and I picked up by a roadside months and months ago; and I have added cylindrical copper soldering irons I had in my stash. The timber is about 1m-1.2m long and about .35m wide.

I worked  out the placement of the soldering irons (below).

©2017 Barry Smith  - Working out the placement of the copper soldering irons
I cut the handles off and drilled holes that neatly fitted the shafts of the soldering irons; and then put them in place. The Fiona and I discussed the potential location of the piece - we decided to place the piece on right hand side of the path as you are looking out the kitchen window.

©2017 Barry Smith - Initial placement of the sculptural piece
©2017 Fiona Dempster - Good curves and lines after playing with placement of the piece
©2017 Fiona Dempster  - Part of the garden setting 
Some additional detail photos.

©2017 Barry Smith
©2017 Fiona Dempster 
©2017 Fiona Dempster 
In Wednesday's blog post I referred to the sculpture-installation I put in place over near the small garden shed outside Fiona's shed-studio. I have simply taken some very old, eroded and greyed posts that were formally part of a cattle yard ;and have used the existing shapes to make an interesting installation. This installation will need additional rusty bits to be added.

©2017 Fiona Dempster - Cattle yard post installation in progress
©2017 Barry Smith - Catt;e yard post installation - just in need of more rusty bits

I have started on the big post assemblage-sculpture for down the back - but more on that another day. I'm very pleased that the block is getting a few additions that will make it looked loved.

6 comments:

  1. Not that it already doesn't looked loved! Lovely, Barry - the contrast of textures is great

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful wood and love the patina om the copper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soldering iron heads look like seedlings waiting to grow. I think it's great

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, Barry. Such simplicity is wonderful. And as for the rust - you know how I feel about that. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect new installation! As if the soldering irons are patiently waiting to burst forth in bloom. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.