Sunday, January 7, 2018

Time for a little creativity

©2018 Barry Smith - Polished, filed and oiled cross sections of buffalo horn
For the last 5 days Fiona and I have been working like crazy in the yard.We have been removing yuccas and dracaenas that have grown to huge sizes and threatened walls and the road way. We were able to gift the smaller sections of the removed plants to a friend for mulching; but the bigger stumps and trunks needed to go into a 5 cubic meter skip we hired for green waste.

I promised a friend that I would make her a buffalo pendant with negative space. I did a little bit on Saturday and managed to finish three off today - one needs too have choice.

As you can see from the photos below the pendants started with a pretty rugged and very old section of buffalo horn.

©2018 Barry Smith - Section of an old buffalo horn
©2018 Barry Smith - Rough cut slivers of horn - about 8mm thick
The photo at the beginning of the blog shows how it can polish up - fine sanding and then a bit of lubricant polished into the horn. The final results look pretty good.

©2018 Barry Smith - Buffalo horn pendant with stone and brass
©2018 Barry Smith - Buffalo horn pendant with found chrome bauble
©2018 Barry Smith - Buffalo horn pendant with beach glass and found ceramic bead
©2018 Barry Smith
©2018 Barry Smith - Bead, glass and horn
ThoughFiona and I think the person I made them for will want to go with the plain horn with negative space rather than stone, glass or metal baubles.


3 comments:

  1. these are beauties Barry I feel so honoured to have one of your buffalo horn pendants here, you are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MC and V - Sorry it has taken me a bit of time to respond to your generous visit and comments. There are times when I just run out of time - been a busy year last year. I hope that 2018 will be better and I can respond to folk more regularly. MC - lovely to know we are connected through the buffalo horn. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.